This is Part 3 of our 3-Part series on Best Practices for Cloud Management.
For those of you who aren’t familiar, the Forrester Wave is a rigorous vendor evaluation conducted over several months by the Forrester Research team. It’s meant to help enterprises put together a short list of vendors for them to evaluate.
In Q2 2018, Forrester named CloudHealth as one of the leaders among the top nine vendors that made the cut for Cloud Monitoring and Optimization. This is significant because our Cloud Optimization Platform Service is powered by CloudHealth.
Xgility’s Cloud Optimization Platform Service
Our Cloud Optimization Platform Service enables control and optimization of your cloud from every angle. The service is designed to enhance visibility and reporting into your public cloud spend and usage, as well as streamline billing. Additionally, we can create rules and automate tasks for powerful active policy management and set up guardrails for your environment using our platform to send alerts and notifications for noncompliant policies and assets. The service is offered in three levels aligned to your infrastructure and requirements.
Subscriptions are determined by the percentage of your cloud spend, and supplemental hours are available for configuration, support, and customization.
On average, customers see a reduction in cloud costs of 20%-30%, but sometimes much more. For example, reducing Reserved Instances (RIs) in Azure can quickly supply you with up to a 72% discount on your virtual machine and SQL database costs compared to pay-as-you-go.
Check out this chart below comparing Azure reserved virtual machine instances and SQL Database reserved capacity:
The real key behind cloud cost optimization and management is to not treat different cost-saving tactics as one-time activities but rather ongoing best practices that are automated to ensure efficacy.
That’s why a single pane of glass into your Azure environment helps you gain visibility and actionable insight into cost, security, performance, and compliance of your data center and public cloud infrastructure is the best way to achieve your goals. Xgility’s Cloud Optimization Platform Service does this by:
- Consolidating all cloud infrastructure and data in one place
- Identifying opportunities to optimize costs, utilization, performance, and security
- Manage cloud sprawl
- Establish governance guidelines and rules with policies to manage your cloud as it scales
- Align cost reports with business requirements
Real-life Examples of Customer Savings
Needless to say, putting in place an automated cloud cost management and optimization program can have a huge impact not only on your Azure spend but also on growing your business. As proof, here are some real-life examples of savings using the Azure cost-savings tips we provided in our infographic and previous blogs:
- One large B2B SaaS company found that almost 60% of the instance hours they ran in the past 12 months were using older-generation instance types. Upgrading those instances to the latest generation saved them millions of dollars per year. By setting a target for weekly hours that non-production systems should run, one large publishing company set that target at less than 80 hours per week, which is saving them thousands of dollars a month.
- By setting a target for weekly hours that non-production systems should run, one large publishing company set that target at less than 80 hours per week, which is saving them thousands of dollars a month. A mobile gaming company moved 600TB+ from S3 to S3 Infrequent Access, saving them more than $7k every month.
- A mobile gaming company moved 600TB+ from S3 to S3 Infrequent Access, saving them more than $7k every month.
See Xgility’s Cloud Optimization Platform Service in Action – With Your Data!
The best way to start tackling your Azure spend and optimization challenges is to take advantage of a free 14-day trial of our Cloud Optimization Platform Service that uses real data from your environment to help you understand the cost-savings and optimization potential. The trial is securely configured and will provide you the best opportunity to experience true visibility and actionable insights for your Azure environment.
The road to cloud cost optimization and management is easier than you think!